Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You’ll Pay For That Holiday

| Working | June 11, 2014

(I work for a store manager who never lets me have time off, even though her friends get all the time off they want. We get a new store manager who has a crack down on unused vacation time. I have almost three months owing to me. We get told that if we don’t start using the time up that they will simply order us to take month off with no notice. I put in for four weeks off, two weeks so I could look after my children on their school break, and two weeks to get neglected things done and a little time just for me. My husband has only recently started a new job after two years unemployment, so I cannot afford to go away. I get back to work and get asked what I did.)

Me: “Oh, nothing much. Just stayed home. Took the kids out a couple of times.”

(The next day store manager comes up to me at the end of day.)

Store Manager: “I’ve spoken to head office about you. In future if you are only ‘just going to stay home’ on your holidays you cannot take four weeks off. You can only take four weeks off if you are going overseas, or something like that.”

(I am so livid that I cannot even answer her. My coworker has overheard.)

Coworker: “Did you just get into trouble for not going away on your holidays?”

Me: “Yes. I am so angry! I can’t believe that they think they can dictate what I do on my holidays. I’m handing my resignation in tomorrow.”

(I give two weeks notice and after leaving I notice I haven’t been paid my severance pay. I call up and speak to my department manager about it.)

Department Manager: “I spoke to [Store Manager]. She didn’t submit your resignation to head office because she thought you were joking.”

Me:  “Well, the past week that I haven’t turned up should have told her that I wasn’t.”

Department Manager: “You realise that if you don’t get paid out before Friday that the company has to pay you extra money? Just leave it at that. Serves her right for treating you like that.”

(My pay came through at 11.45 pm on the Thursday night. I bet someone in head office wasn’t too happy with having to work late to pay me.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!