Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Say Tomato, I Say Racist

, , , , | Right | December 29, 2020

My area is extremely diverse. It is impossible to go anywhere and not encounter a non-white person. As such, racism in my area tends to be very minimal, since it is very difficult to live here if you’re a racist old cow. Unfortunately, some people don’t seem to care. I’m doing my own thing when this woman comes up. She doesn’t greet me or anything; she just blurts out:

Customer: “Why are all your tomatoes Mexican? Do you not have any tomatoes grown in the US?”

Me: *Shocked* “Uh… Let me go ask the produce manager. She knows more about this than I do.”

I walk over to the produce manager, who is Hispanic.

Me: “That woman over there is wondering why all of our tomatoes are Mexican.”

Manager: “Seriously? Mexican tomatoes? Tell her to complain to the government about that. I don’t have any control over where our produce is grown. It’s about supply and demand versus cost.”

Me: “Right.”

Manager: “Actually, I might have one or two types of tomatoes grown in the US right now. Let’s see…”

She starts checking all the tomatoes.

Manager: “This one says, ‘Product of America.’ And this one is also grown in the US. Oh, this one is Canadian if she’s okay with that. But you can tell her we have some patriotic tomatoes.”

Me: “Okay… where’d she go?”

I look all over the produce department, but the woman is gone. I wonder if it’s because the produce manager is Hispanic, but I say nothing.

Manager: “That’s weird.”

Me: “Yeah. If I see her again, I’ll let her know.”

Manager: “Mexican tomatoes. They’re freaking tomatoes! Just eat them!”

I finish what I am doing and then head up front to give customer service a heads-up in case she decides to complain. The customer service manager is of Egyptian descent, but she’s mistaken for Hispanic all the time. As I’m telling her about what happened, the customer finishes up at the registers. She starts to approach the desk, but she stares at the customer service manager for a minute before leaving the store.

Customer Service Manager: “Was that her?”

Me: “Yep.”

Customer Service Manager: “I’m not even Hispanic! I hope she’s not from here. She can go back to wherever she came from.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!