Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Really, Really, Really, Need A Job But Not Really

, | Working | March 10, 2017

(I am the hiring manager for a fast food restaurant and we are seriously understaffed. Our application process is done online and I am calling applicants for an interview. An applicant answers one of my calls.)

Applicant: *rudely* “Yeah.”

Me: “I’m calling for [Applicant].”

Applicant: *back-pedaling* “Oh, yes, this is her.”

Me: “Thanks, but never mind.”

(Five minutes later, the store phone rings.)

Applicant: “Hi, you just called me and I just wanted to say how sorry I am for answering my phone that way. I just saw the prefix and thought it was my grandmother. I swear I’d never answer the phone that way again.”

Me: *thinking who would speak to their grandmother in such a way* “You should think about how you answer your phone if you’re looking for a job. I happen to be the hiring manager and the way you answered concerns me that you have attitude and no respect for others for the type of business that we are.”

Applicant: “I truly am sorry. I really am interested in a job.”

Me: “If you can be here at 4:00 pm this afternoon, I will speak with you and see if you would be a good fit.”

(Fast forward to 4:00 pm and the applicant doesn’t show up for her interview. At 4:45 the store phone rings.)

Me: “Thank you for calling [Store]. How can I help you?”

Applicant: “Hi, this is [Applicant] and I was supposed to be there at 4 o’clock but I’ve had a lot going on with family and I was really tired so I took a nap. I’m so sorry that I did not make it to my interview. Can I come in a different time? I really, really, really need a job.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but I really needed you to be here at your scheduled appointment. I will not reschedule. Good luck in your job search.”

(Where do these people come from?)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!