Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Have NOT Been A Ham

, , , | Right | October 28, 2018

(I work in a small cafe serving coffee and basic food like sandwiches, burgers, chips, etc. We offer the option to create your own sandwich using a variety of ingredients listed on our menus. This exchange occurs with a customer one afternoon. The lady has a somewhat vague look on her face as she walks in, and she takes a moment to respond to all my questions. These are questions I have to ask so I get people’s orders right.)

Me: “Good afternoon! What can I get you?”

Customer: *pause and stares at me* “Do you do sandwiches?”

Me: “Yes! On the bottom of the menu here…” *motions to the menu listing sandwich ingredients* “…are all the things you can have in a sandwich. You can have them fresh or toasted.”

(The lady says nothing for a moment and appears to read the menu.)

Customer: “The carrot, lettuce, cucumber, and tomato, please.”

Me: “So, you’d like just a salad sandwich.”

Customer: “Yes.”

Me: “So, you don’t want any meat in that one?”

(I motion again to the meat options; we offer chicken, ham, or turkey as meat fillings.)

Customer: “Beef!”

Me: “I’m sorry, but we don’t have beef. How about ham?”

Customer: “Yes.”

Me: “Okay. So, a ham and salad sandwich. Was that fresh or toasted?”

Customer: “Toasted.”

Me: “Okay! Would you like us to put the salad in the sandwich after the bread is toasted so it doesn’t go limp?”

Customer: “What? No. On the side.”

(I’m confused now, because she said she wanted salad in the sandwich.)

Me: “Okay, wait… So, you would like a side of salad instead of the salad in the sandwich?”

Customer: “Yes.”

Me: “Okay. So, you would like just the ham in the sandwich, and a side of salad with that?”

Customer: “Yes.”

Me: “Okay. So, that was just ham in the sandwich. No cheese or anything else, right?”

Customer: “Oh, yes, cheese!”

Me: *now inwardly screaming* “Okay! So, you would like a ham and cheese toasted sandwich with a side salad?”

Customer: “Yes.”

Me: “Was that white bread or multigrain?”

Customer: “Multigrain.”

(I finally got to ring her up for what I hoped was actually what she wanted. She got her order, ate it, didn’t complain, and left. I am baffled and exhausted by trying to get the order from this lady. Was it really so hard to say, “Ham and cheese toastie with salad on the side”?)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!