Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Failed Early (Hours)

| Working | May 16, 2016

(I am the manager of the customer service department of a fairly large department store, and we’re advertising for a new member of staff for my team. Any of the customer service team, myself included, will answer the switchboard, depending on who is free and on this occasion it’s me.)

Me: “Good afternoon, [Store] customer service. How can I help you?”

Caller: “Yes, I’m calling about the customer service job; can you tell me the hours?”

Me: “We’re looking for someone to work 8:30 am to 2:30 pm, Monday to Friday.”

Caller: *rather rudely* “Oh, no, those hours won’t suit me at all. I’d need to start later than that.”

Me: *staying polite* “Well, I’m very sorry, but those are the hours we need to cover at this point.”

Caller: *very rudely* “Well, who are you to tell me what hours I’ll work?!”

Me: *calmly, and managing not to laugh* “I’m the manager of the department you’re asking to work in.”

Caller: *now sounding very awkward* “Oh, well, I suppose I might be able to work those hours. Could you send me an application form?”

Me: “Well, yes, if you want, but I have to warn you that the hours really are fixed”.

(I took her details and ended the call, then related the story to the rest of the team who also found it hilarious. I did send an application form, but initialed it so I knew to be very wary of the applicant if she sent it in, which she didn’t. Moral of the story: you really never know who you’re speaking to, so be nice!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!