Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Either Look Like A Mode, Or You Work There

, , , , , | Right | April 13, 2021

I am a short, plump young woman with pale skin, glasses, and dark hair that is sometimes frizzy, sometimes straight, and I have thick bangs. These are some of the things people have said I looked like.

Customer #1: “You know, you kinda look like Ugly Betty.”

Me: “I… um… oh?”

Customer #1: “Well, you know, she actually looks really beautiful without all that makeup on.”

Me: *Pauses* “This is me without the makeup on.”

Anything that begins with the word “Ugly” is not a compliment. A mentally handicapped teenage boy comes up to me.

Teen: “Um… I don’t know if you will like this but… you look like someone on TV.”

I am ready for another “Ugly Betty” comment.

Me: “Oh, yeah?”

Teen: “Um… Penelope Garcia from Criminal Minds.”

Me: “I love her! I’ll take that compliment!”

And then the last one:

Customer #2: “You tell her.”

Customer #3: “No, you tell her!”

Me: “What’s up?”

Customer #2: “Well… with that haircut… you kinda look like Edna from The Incredibles.”

Me: *In Edna’s voice* “Oh, thank you, darling!”

They started laughing.


This story is part of our Feel Good roundup for April 2021!

Read the next Feel Good roundup for April 2021 story!

Read the Feel Good roundup for April 2021!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!