Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Didn’t Yell, Because They Remember The Ones That Do

, , , , | Right | July 11, 2020

Over the summer, our local bus service has changed some routes and added new routes and stops. I am very glad about one change because the stop is much closer to the buildings that my classes are in. I end up missing the first bus, likely because I wasn’t close enough to the stop. I wait just over twenty minutes for the next bus. I make sure that both the bus stop sign and I are visible.

I try to make eye contact with the bus driver, but he speeds past the stop anyway. It is Friday and it is hot outside and I am uncomfortable due to washing dishes for a long time and clearing for a work-experience class.

I get very upset and call the main office for the bus. Since I am not used to letting myself be angry and show it, I think I sound like I am doing a mix of crying and yelling.

Customer Service Rep: “Hello, this is [Customer Service Rep], how may I help you?”

Me: “Hi. I was just at one of the bus stops for the [route letters] and the bus completely skipped my stop, twice.”

Customer Service Rep: “Where was this?”

Me: “It was at [Stop]. I mean, why would there be a stop there if no one is going to stop there?”

I don’t recall exactly what she says, but she tries to get information about the stop, such as the time that the bus was supposed to get there, where I was, and more. By now, I am calmer and feel bad for yelling at her. I also realize that I counted the one that I figured I missed, and make sure to let her know.

Customer Service Rep: “All right, I am going to put in a report for you. May I have your name and phone number?”

Me: “It’s [My Name] and my phone number is [number]. Thank you.”

Customer Service Rep: “No problem. And can you tell me the bus, stop, and time once more?”

Me: “Yeah, it was the [route] at 2:29, but it was supposed to be there at 2:26, but that part was okay. And it was the one on [Road] across from [On-Campus Hotel]. I think the stop number was six.”

Customer Service Rep: “Okay, I’ll submit that for you. There is also another [route that has the same destination, but takes longer] at the library [the on-campus transit center] in about twenty minutes, if you don’t mind taking a bit longer to get home.”

Me: “I’m headed there now, thank you.”

We end the conversation and I get home. I feel bad about yelling at her since she didn’t do anything wrong. She was very helpful and she remained calm the whole time. It was the bus driver who skipped me, not her. I call the office back the following Monday.

Customer Service Rep: “Hello, this is [My Name]; how can I help you?”

Me: “Hi. I called last Friday and ended up yelling at the woman I was talking to. I don’t remember her name, but I want to apologize to her.”

Customer Service Rep: *Surprised for a moment* “Oh? Hm, I don’t think it was me. I think I’d remember that.”

Me: “I had called because the bus I take skipped my stop Friday afternoon.”

Customer Service Rep: “Oh! That was me! I remember that!”

Me: “I am really sorry if I yelled at you. You didn’t do anything wrong, so you didn’t deserve to be yelled at. I had gotten really upset and ended up yelling.”

Customer Service Rep: “I don’t think you yelled. But you had every right to be upset. That is a frustrating situation. Thank you for apologizing, though!”

She sounded surprised, as though no one usually apologized for that kind of thing. I am very glad I called, though. I can’t be sure, but I think that we were both happy when we hung up the phone.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!