Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Didn’t Remember The Last Conversation Because You Didn’t Want To

, , , , | Right | August 3, 2020

I work at a well-known convenience store and deli, where I work exclusively in the deli. I am a twenty-year-old female. An older woman comes up to me after placing her order on the touch screen. 

Woman: “All men are terrible.”

I stare at her, a little confused, and since I don’t feel like arguing, I just nod along.

Woman: “I mean, aren’t they just awful? You can’t trust a single one of them.”

I am confused and uncomfortable, glancing toward my male manager.

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, did something happen?”

Woman: *Laughing* “No, don’t you remember our conversation from a couple of weeks ago? I was wearing a hat that day so you might not recognize me.”

Me: *Still confused* “I’m sorry, ma’am, I don’t remember—”

Woman: *Cutting me off* “We were right over there; you were ringing me out at the register!”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, you must have me confused with someone else. I never work the register.”

Woman: “No, I know it was you! You were ringing me out at the register! I remember your eyes!”

I am now extremely confused and uncomfortable.

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but I really think you must be remembering somebody else…”

Woman: “No, I know it was you! Have you started online yet?”

Me: “Online?”

Woman: “Online dating! Have you started dating online yet?”

Me: “Umm, no, ma’am.”

Woman: “Good! You have to be careful with that, you know. You never know if you’re really talking to who you think you’re talking to.”

Me: “Yes, I know that. Here is your order. Did you need anything else?”

Woman: “No, just remember that all men are terrible!”

She walked out happily.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!