Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Can’t Make Them Read… Or Make Them Make Reasonable Demands

, , , , , | Working | April 17, 2023

I was an office manager for a staffing company. When we would get job orders, I would place ads in the local newspaper advertising job openings. I tried to make the ads as detailed as possible.

For example:

Ad: “Receptionist needed. Pays $13 an hour, Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Must have at least three years of experience. Must be computer literate, have intermediate to advanced skills in Word and Excel, and type 45 WPM. Call for an appointment. Appointments are only on Wednesday and Thursday. No walk-in applicants.”

Pretty straightforward, right?

Well, here are some of the calls that I would get based on that ad.

Caller #1: “Can I interview on Friday?”

Caller #2: “How much does it pay?”

Caller #3: “What skills are required?”

Caller #4: “What is a receptionist?”

Caller #5: “I don’t have any experience as a receptionist. Can I apply anyway?”

Caller #6: “Can I get paid $17 an hour instead?”

My favorite one was a woman who wanted to apply for a job like the above example.

Woman: “I am interested in applying for the job you have. I have all the experience you are looking for.”

Me: “Great! Can you come in this Wednesday or Thursday to complete an application and be interviewed?”

Woman: “No, those days won’t work.”

Me: “Okay, can you come in next Wednesday or Thursday?”

Woman: “No. I can come this Saturday at 2:00.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but our office is closed on Saturdays and Sundays. We don’t do any interviews on the weekends.”

Woman: “Well, can’t you just come in on Saturday and interview me?”

Me: “No, sorry, I can’t do that. Are you currently working now, or do you have transportation issues? I can possibly get you in on a Monday or Tuesday if that would help.”

Woman: “No, I am not currently working, and I do have transportation. I would just rather come on Saturday. Are you sure you can’t come in on Saturday and interview me?”

Me: “No, sorry, we are not able to do that. You’re welcome to call back if you would like to come in on any of the other days I mentioned.”

Woman: “I don’t know why you just can’t come in on Saturday. I’ll just go to another staffing agency. I’m sure there are some that would be open on Saturday.”

Good luck, lady.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!