Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Can’t Auto-matically Assume Anything

, , , , | Right | CREDIT: wworrall | May 27, 2021

I am at the grocery store. My aunt works at this store and I am there every week, so I know a few employees that I see regularly, and when I pass them, I say hello, ask how their day is going, etc. The uniform there is a black T-shirt or sweater embossed with the store’s name written in yellow and a picture of the mascot, with a bright yellow name tag. They even wear black masks with the store name printed on them. I am wearing a black sweater that day, but it says, “Smile More,” on it in white, I have no name tag, and I have a black “Harry Potter” mask.

I stop at the toy’s section to look for something for my daughter.

Woman: “Excuse me?”

I turn and see a woman standing there with her hands on her hips, staring at me. She has a mask on with her nose out, of course. I think she wants something from where I am standing and doesn’t want to get too close.

Me: “Oh, sorry.”

And I take a few steps back. She gives me a weird look.

Woman: “There was a basket of books here last week. Do you know where they were moved to?”

As luck would have it, I do remember seeing some books there as I actually bought one for my daughter. I see a few of them on the shelf nearby and point to them.

Me: “Here they are. I guess they moved them onto the shelf.”

Woman: “No, these aren’t them. I’m looking for some smaller books.”

Me: “Hmm, sorry, not sure where they went. The book section is on the other side of the store; I’d try there.”

Woman: “Aren’t you going to check for me?”

I am a bit tired from working all day, so it doesn’t click in my head yet.

Me: “I have to pick up a few things from over here first, but I guess I can have a peek on my way to the registers and let you know if I see anything.”

Woman: *Huffing* “Doesn’t anyone want to work around here nowadays? You all are so lazy.”

Me: *Realizing* “Oh, sorry. I don’t actually work here.”

Woman: “Yes, you do. I saw you saying hello and laughing with all those other employees.”

Me: *Laughing* “Oh, yeah. Well, I’m a regular, and I said hello to a few people who I know, but no, I don’t work here. I don’t even have a uniform on.”

Woman: *Looking at my sweater* “I don’t care if you’re off duty; you still represent the store and have to treat customers with respect. I want to speak to your manager.”

Me: *Smiling* “Ma’am, I’m my manager… at the auto parts store that I work for. If you’re looking for a part for your car, I can definitely help you out, but unfortunately, that is all I can do.”

She seemed to be putting two and two together when an actual employee walked up, and she politely asked them to show her to the books instead.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!