Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Can Jiggle Out The Way You Jiggled In

, , , | Right | July 22, 2022

I work at a coffee shop/cafe part-time. It is a Sunday, and we closed at 1:00 pm. It is 2:15, and I am still there because we clean the place TOTALLY after every shift. The door is locked, of course, and the signs are flipped to “Closed.” All lights are off.

Then, a woman walks in and sits down at a table.

Me: “Ma’am, I’m sorry, but we closed at 1:00.”

Customer: “What? That’s way too early! I want lunch!”

Me: “On Sundays, we don’t serve lunch at all and only have a breakfast menu. How did you get in? I’m sure I locked both doors.”

Customer: “Well, I was able to jiggle it open.”

Sure enough, she did; the lock bolt was partially protruding but apparently hadn’t caught well enough. Apparently, our lock would make a loud click after one and a half revolutions, which implied that it was bolted, but the key had to turn TWO full revolutions before the bolt was completely engaged. She had tugged on the door, felt it stick, and simply given it a vigorous shaking until it jiggled open. I had missed the sound because I had been in the back.

I stood there in a WTF moment. Then, as gently as I could, I guided her back to the door and suggested that she was lucky I didn’t have her arrested for trespassing and for forcing the door. Then, I relocked the door, this time making sure the lock was thoroughly engaged.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!