Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Are The Reason Why Others Have To Wait

, , , , | Right | May 6, 2020

I’m the only employee available in a huge bookstore, so I am working one of seven registers while my boss helps customers find books. [Customer #1] is the only customer in the queue and [Customer #2] is at my register.

Customer #1: “Excuse me? Is there anybody else who can help me?”

Me: “Yes, I’m sorry, just let me call them up here. What were you looking for?”

I reach for the pager.

Customer #1: “I already have what I came for; I need to pay.”

Me: “Oh, all right. I’ll just quickly finish ringing this lady in and I’ll help you to pay.”

Customer #1: “Ugh! Seriously? It’s unacceptable that I should have to wait in line when the store is this empty. I hate when this happens. I shouldn’t have to wait in line.”

Customer #2: “Go ahead and help her first; I’m not in a hurry.”

I thank [Customer #2] and wave at [Customer #1].

Me: “Ma’am? I can help you to pay over here. This customer says you can go first.”

Customer #1: “Oh, good. I hate lines. There’s just no good reason for them. I don’t understand why anyone should have to wait.”

I choose not to acknowledge her hatred for queues.

Me: “Do you have your rewards card?”

Customer #1: “Yes, hang on; it’s in here somewhere.”

[Customer #2] and I waited while she searched through stacks of cards until she found it and dropped it on the desk in front of my outstretched hand. I finished ringing her through and she left without saying thank you to [Customer #2].

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!