Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Are Not Authorized To Break The Law

, , , | Right | August 27, 2020

I’ve worked various customer service jobs. A common occurrence is that often people don’t understand what Data Protection is and think that just because they are related to the customer that they are entitled to a customer’s details.

Customer’s Adult Child: “I want my [Parent]’s services renewed.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but the customer has not notified us that you have authority to speak on their behalf. If the customer could confirm for us that they are okay with us speaking with you, then we can get started on that for you.”

Customer’s Adult Child: “My parent has [medical condition] so they can’t come to the phone.”

Me: “Okay, well, we’ll then need documentation to state that the customer cannot speak for themselves and that you are authorised to handle their affairs. A copy of a Power of Attorney letter would do the trick.”

Customer’s Adult Child: “No, I want to do this now! It’s disgusting that you won’t help us. My [Parent] is very sick and you are not being helpful.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but my hands are tied until we receive this.”

Customer’s Adult Child: “Forget it! I’m taking my business elsewhere!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!