Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Would Make A Great Book One Day

| Right | February 1, 2013

(I’m a cashier in a book store during the holiday season. It’s just me and one other cashier working the registers as it’s a slow afternoon. One woman walks up and asks to do a return on a book. As my coworker is authorized for returns, she goes ahead and takes over.)

Coworker: “Alright Ma’am, I just need the receipt and the book you’re returning.”

(The customer places a bag on the counter and hands the receipt to my co-worker. The coworker scans the receipt and start the return transaction.)

Coworker: “And what would be the reason you’re returning this book?”

(As she’s asking the question, she’s pulling the book out of the bag to inspect it before furthering the transaction. Upon seeing the book, she finds it is in fact extremely damaged. Before the customer can respond to the first question, my coworker speaks on the company’s policies.)

Coworker: “…I’m sorry Ma’am, but we can’t take this book back, as it’s not in resellable condition.”

Customer: “You have to take it back! You’ve got the receipt and you’ve got the book. Now do my return and give me my money!”

Coworker: “I’m sorry Ma’am, but it’s company policy that we can not take any merchandise back that is not in re-sellable condition, unless it is found to be defective.”

Customer: “Well then, that book is defective! Look at it—the cover is mangled and the pages are stuck together!”

(Clearly this book has been mishandled before it was brought to be returned.)

Coworker: “Again, Ma’am, we can not take this book because we can not put it back on the shelves.”

Customer: “Get me your manager!”

(My coworker complies with this and pages our manager up to cash. The manager arrives and my co-worker explains what is going on. My manager then reiterates what my coworker told the customer.)

Customer: “No! You have to take it back. You have the receipt and you have the book! Now give me my money!”

Manager: “Miss, as we’ve already said, we can not do that as this book is not in resellable condition.”

Coworker: “Fine! If you won’t take it back, then I’ll make you take it!”

(The customer then proceeds to rip the book from my coworker’s hands and tears it into pieces. She then proceeds to take the chunks from the book and throw them at my manager. The customer then storms out of the store.)

Me: “Well… that was sure interesting.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!