Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Won’t Make Any Concessions

| Right | November 30, 2015

(I work in a movie theater in a relatively small urban area; we have two ticket booths at the entrance of the complex and a concessions stand that occupies the back of the lobby. The ticket booths are only open when we’re busy, so each one has a large signs that say TICKETS MAY BE PURCHASED AT CONCESSIONS STAND. A customer comes in between shows, when the lobby is empty and I am the only employee not on break. He stands in front of an empty ticket booth for about five minutes before I call out to him.)

Me: “Sir? Can I help you with anything?”

Customer: *ignores me*

Me: *after another few minutes* “Sir? You can purchase your tickets here at the concessions stand.”

Customer: *again, ignores me*

(After what must be fifteen more minutes, he approaches the concessions stand.)

Customer: *angrily* “What the h*** is wrong with this place? I’ve been waiting twenty minutes and nobody’s there to sell me a ticket!”

Me: “I’m sorry about that wait time, sir. What show are you interested in? I can sell you tickets right here at the concessions stand.”

Customer: “No, I don’t want anything to eat. Everything here is too expensive. Get in the booth and sell me a ticket.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but I’m not allowed in the booth. But I can sell you a ticket right here; I just need to know what show you’d like to see.”

Customer: *loudly* “I don’t want anything to eat!”

Me: “Yes, sir, I understand that, but—”

Customer: *even louder* “I. DON’T. WANT. ANYTHING. TO. EAT!”

(At this point, one of my managers has heard him shouting and comes out from the office.)

Manager: “[My Name], is there is a problem out here?”

Me: “No, just—”

Customer: “Yes! There’s definitely a problem! I want to see [Current Popular Movie], but there’s no one in the ticket booth!”

Manager: “Yes, we only open the booths when we’re very busy. You can buy tickets here at the stand, though; [My Name] will get you whatever you need.”

Customer: *quickly, almost cutting my manager off* “I don’t want anything to eat!”

Manager: “That’s fine, sir. We don’t only sell food here at the stand, we also handle ticketing.”

Customer: “Oh. Are you SURE I can get tickets here?”

Manager & Me: “Yes, sir.”

Customer: “Well, okay. I’d like one to [Movie] at [time].”

Me: “You may have missed the beginning; are you sure you’d like that time? We have another showing starting in about an hour.”

Customer: “No, I want [current show].”

Me: “All right. That will be [price].”

(I process his ticket order and, out of habit, ask before I run his card:)

Me: “Is there anything else I can get for you today?”

Customer: *after a pause* “Actually, yeah. Let me get a large popcorn.”


Did you find this story using our Movie Theater Concessions roundup?

Click here to get to the next story!

Click here to get back to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!