Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Wining And Fining

| Right | July 7, 2015

(A group of twenty-somethings and their parents walks in to our apres ski bar. They order tapas and drinks. Our ski town just endured a weeklong series of under-aged drinking busts, so establishments are being extra cautious.)

Woman: “Sweetie, you should pick a wine.”

Girl: “I don’t know. I kind of feel like hot chocolate.”

Woman: “No, it’s a special occasion. Get a drink.”

Waitress: “May I get you something?”

Girl: “Oh, sure. May I please have a mulled wine?”

Waitress: “Sure. I just need to see some ID.”

Girl: “Oh, I just had my license renewed, and I left my new temporary paper one in my hotel. I’m 25. I have a copy of my passport on my phone, but I totally understand if you can’t serve me. Actually, forget it. May I just have a hot cocoa?”

Woman: “Oh, can’t you just get her her hot wine? She really is 25. I’m her mother.”

Waitress: “Unfortunately, there have been a lot of police busts recently, and they use all sorts of tricks to try to get us to bend the law. We have to be uber-safe right now. I really can’t serve anybody who looks under 30 without a real ID.”

Man: *leaning in* “I’m her father; it’s okay.”

Waitress: “Unfortunately, we really can’t take your word for it. I’m so sorry. So, you wanted cocoa?”

Man: *reddening* “No, that is not okay! This is ridiculous. This is what this country is coming to. Everything is so correct these days. I’m her father. She’s here with her parents and our geezer friends.”

Girl: “Dad, It’s fine. Really.”

Man: “No, it is bloody well not fine. Give me your room key. I’m getting your ID. You have your passport in your room?”

Girl: “In the nightstand. But, Dad, really, I don’t really want a drink.”

Man: “No! I will not have these politically correct minions dictate my life to me. You’re my daughter, and if I say you can drink, you can drink.”

(The daughter reluctantly hands the man her hotel key, although she’s quite pink. The man storms off.)

Girl: *to waitress* “I’m so sorry. You’re getting a big tip. He’s going to get an ulcer if he doesn’t start meditating, or something.”

(The man returned as the group was finishing their second drinks and preparing to leave. The man marched the passport over to the waitress and insisted that she bring the girl a drink. The whole group had to sit there with their coats on and watch while the embarrassed girl slurped down her piping hot mulled wine.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!