Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

How To Win The War Against Telemarketers, Part 30

, , | Working | February 2, 2018

(Over the last few months, I’ve been getting several missed calls from the area code of my hometown. Generally, I don’t answer my phone if it’s not a number I know, and they’ve been calling when I’m working and can’t pick up, anyway. They never leave a message, so I don’t worry about it. I am at home and receive a call from that same area code. Against my better judgement, I answer it to make sure it isn’t someone from my hometown.)

Scam Caller: “Hi, is [Grandmother] available?”

(My cell number has never been associated with her, so, of course, I’m suspicious.)

Me: “You have the wrong number.”

Scam Caller: “Oh! Well, maybe you can help me. I’m calling from the Veterans Affairs Office and…” *tries to tell me he’s with the “division that handles donations for veterans’ mental health care”*

(Now, I’m angry because: 1) My brother is a vet and works for the VA hospital, so I know for a fact they don’t cold call people — in this state at least — for donations, 2) How dare they steal money that would otherwise benefit veterans?)

Me: “What was the last name of the person you were looking for?”

Scam Caller: “Uh… I don’t know, but maybe you can help me.”

Me: “No, I can’t. And how did you get this number?”

Scam Caller: “I… uh…” *click*

(I immediately let my brother know what happened, and he gave me the number for the state VA office to report it. They were very interested to learn that someone was trying to impersonate a representative of their office.)

Related:
How To Win The War Against Telemarketers, Part 29
How To Win The War Against Telemarketers, Part 28
How To Win The War Against Telemarketers, Part 27

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!