Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Will Get Weird, Promise

, , , , , | Working | October 13, 2017

(I am working 16 hours a week, which is all I really want, as I have small children and want to contribute to the household finances. I also work every other weekend. The manager calls me into the office.)

Manager: “[My Name], I’m wondering if you could do me a favour?”

Me: “What is it?”

Manager: “Well, I have someone in mind to fill [Coworker]’s position when she leaves next week, but she can’t join us for another month. Would you be interested in working full-time until she can take over?”

Me: “Of course I can, just as long as I go back to 16 hours a week afterwards.”

Manager: “Of course, you will go back to your normal hours.”

(It’s four weeks later, and I get called back into the office.)

Manager: *snapping at me* “I have [Name] starting next week, and I know that you aren’t going to honour our agreement of going back to your job.” *I actually can’t be forced to*

Me: *stunned* “Of course I will; I gave you my word.”

Manager: “Well, I don’t think you will.”

Me: “I made an agreement with you that I intend to stick to; all I want is to go back to 16 hours like you promised.”

Manager: “I stick to my word; I’m not sure about you.”

(The new staff member started, who just happened to be personal friend of the manager. The roster came out and I found I was now working just 12 hours a week and am rostered on every weekend.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!