Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Will Eventually Do A 180 On The 189

, , , , | Right | September 8, 2018

(I work in sales at a call center for a large cable company. We also provide Internet, phone and home security services. A mailer has been sent out offering a bundle deal for all services, premium level, starting at $189.99 for two years. This is one of many calls I’ve taken:)

Me: “Thank you for calling [Company]. My name is [My Name]. How may I help you today?”

Customer: “Yeah, I got one of these things in the mail for $189 and I want to know more about it.”

Me: “Sure! I’d be happy to go over the details of that offer with you!”

(I gather his information, going over the details of the offer while I’m looking over his account. I see he’s in a bundle very similar with premium cable, the fastest Internet we offer, and telephone for $169.99 a month. Our security is normally $40 a month, so this bundle will offer a great saving on adding that service to his account.)

Customer: “Wow, that sounds like a really good deal! All those channels and the fast Internet for $189. But do you have any specials if I don’t want the security?”

Me: “Well, sir, you’ve already got the bundle without the security. However—”

Customer: “Listen, lady, I want the deal price without security. I just got all this stuff installed two weeks ago and I didn’t know about this sale until today. I know I have two more weeks to change my services until I’m locked into this contract. So do whatever it is you have to get me this price!”

Me: “But, sir, your monthly rate is already—”

Customer: “It’s not $189. I want it at $189. Now!”

(This goes on a couple more times,  with me trying to explain his rate is $169.99 and him cutting me off before I could tell him his desired rate is $20 more.)

Me: “Let me see what I can do to get you at $189, sir. Please hold.”

(I go explain to a supervisor what’s going on with this customer and how he won’t be happy until his rate is $189.99.)

Supervisor: *laughing* “Well, it’s all about what he wants. Add something that’s $20, note the account really well and when he calls back in a month to complain about being charged for something he doesn’t want we’ll just take it off and credit it.”

(I do as told, adding a fitness channel package for $6 and a foreign language package for $14.)

Me: “Great news, sir! I was able to get your monthly rate to $189.99, plus unlocked about twenty more channels for you. How does that sound?”

Customer: “Finally! I can’t believe it took fifteen freakin’ minutes for you to do your d*** job!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!