Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Will Drop You Like A Sack Of Hot Pre-Sliced Potatoes

, , , | Right | September 3, 2019

(I am taking drive-thru orders. A customer pulls up and places her order for chicken nuggets. I ask if she wants fries with that; instead, she asks for a whole potato. At first I think she is joking because I’ve had similar orders followed by “just kidding.” But after I ask if I heard her right and she confirms that I did, I explain that we don’t have whole potatoes, but that she can order fries, instead. She immediately pulls around without another word into the speaker. I wait for about five seconds for her to come around, thinking, “Surely she’s not ignorant enough to think that we actually sell whole potatoes.” When she pulls around she makes sure to correct this thought of mine.)

Customer: “What do you mean, you don’t sell potatoes? How the h*** do you sell french fries and not have whole potatoes?”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but we have our fries pre-sliced, packaged, and sent directly to our distributors, and then to our restaurant. Since nothing else we have is pure potato, we have no whole potatoes that we keep around at the store. Would you like me to get you a different side with your nuggets, like a side salad?”

Customer: “Listen, dumba**, I know you may not understand basic things and that’s why you’re working at a fast food place, but I need you to go to the back, get me a potato, and bring it back to me free of charge since you’ve ruined my visit. Have one of your managers hold your hand for you if you can’t figure it out.”

Me: *my patience tested* “Ma’am, would you like to speak to one of my managers? I believe they could help you better.”

Customer: “Never mind. I’ll just go get one from [Competitor] across the street.” *drives off*

(I told my manager on shift what had happened, and she nearly pissed herself. I’ve had a lot of strange requests, but the one that stuck out to me was this situation, mostly because I was called so many names in such little time for such a dumb reason. I just hope that the other place got her potato for her.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!