Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Why The Customer Isn’t Always Right

, , , , , | Right | March 21, 2008

(I was working at an unusually small location for an otherwise large pet store chain. Because of our size, we needed to store large heavy items like aquariums on the top shelves. On this particular night, we were shorthanded and I was one of only two people working.)

Customer: “I need a 55-gallon aquarium.”

Me: “Just a moment, I will need to call my coworker back here to help me get it down.”

Customer: “Okay, well, I’m in a hurry.”

(At this point, I call my coworker, and he says he will be back as soon as he has cleared the line that has formed at his register.)

Me: “It will be just a few minutes before he can come back and help me.”

Customer: “I’m in a hurry; I really need it now!”

Me: “I’m very sorry, but that is a heavy item, and I will not be able to get it down on my own.”

Customer: “Like h*** you won’t! I said get it for me now! The customer is always right!”

(This repeats for several minutes before I finally decide I’ve had enough. I go get a ladder and attempt to get the aquarium down. Predictably, I cannot hold it, and the thing falls and shatters to pieces all over the floor. The guy stands there dumbfounded, not quite understanding what just happened.)

Me: “As you said, the customer is always right! There you are sir, enjoy your new aquarium.”


This story is part of our They Said The Thing roundup!

Read the next They Said The Thing roundup story!

Read the They Said The Thing roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!