Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Why Mom Isn’t Part Of The Admissions Criteria

, , | Right | December 6, 2007

(Working in a psychology department main office.)

Caller: “Do you have the courses for a psychology graduate degree posted on your website?”

Me: “Let me check… yes, they are posted on our website.”

Caller: “But I can’t find them!”

(I spend a couple of minutes navigating her through our website. Once we’re at the right page…)

Me: “Is that all?”

Caller: “Well she’s a sophomore, so is this what she needs?”

Me: “No, if she’s an undergraduate she’ll need something else.”

(I navigate her to our undergraduate listings.)

Caller: “BUT, these are all PSYCHOLOGY classes!”

Me: “Ma’am, that’s what you asked for….”

Caller: “No, I wanted the English requirements!”

Me: “For an English degree?”

Caller: “No the English requirements for a psychology degree!”

Me: “Ma’am, do you want the Gen Ed requirements for all bachelor’s degrees?”

Caller: “YES! That’s what I want!”

(This call continues for many more minutes in which I explain that she should already have a huge packet on that from when her daughter started college. When she insists that they never got that, I actually navigate her over to the admission website, talk her through downloading the packet (a 600-page PDF), and have to explain not only what page to turn to, but where to look on the page. For her daughter’s sake, let’s hope it’s not hereditary.)


This story is part of the College-Admission-Fails roundup!

Read the next College-Admission-Fails roundup story!

Read the College-Admission-Fails roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!