Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

When You’re REALLY Eager To Go On Vacation

, , , , | Right | CREDIT: reditrewrite | November 14, 2021

My best friends run a beautiful high-end bed and breakfast. They close it every February to go on vacation. I used to work there but haven’t in the last two years due to health; however, when they go out of town, I stay there and pet-sit for them.

This last time I was pet-sitting I heard a knock on the door. Assuming it was a friend or neighbor, I went to open it and saw two people I didn’t know, which is rare because we live in a tiny town and have the same friend group.

Me: “How can I help you? The owners are out of town.”

Customer: “Okayyyyy… Well, we have a reservation for tonight, and we need to get to our room immediately.”

Me: “That’s not possible; these dates are blocked off years in advance. I can call the owners and have them check.”

I gave the owners the customers’ names, and the owners found the reservation… for March 11, not February 11.

Me: “You’re a month early, I’m afraid. But I’d be happy to give you the names of some other inns that are open in the off season.”

Customer: “No. We made a reservation here and are staying here. Move!”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but if you check your reservation confirmation, you’ll see it’s for March 11, and we don’t have any rooms available, as the owners are out of town.”

They checked their emails on their phones and then quickly shoved them in my face.

Customer: “See?! 3/11! Now let me into my room!”

Me: “Sir, February is the second month, not the third.”

After realizing his mistake, he suggested that it was obviously the software’s fault and demanded I allow them to stay anyway. Uh, no. No rooms were made up, I certainly don’t cook, and there were no supplies in house. I told him for all those reasons and more that wouldn’t be possible. He became quite irate and started calling me all sorts of names — lazy, entitled, fat even — all while demanding a room. I shut and locked the door while his tirade continued, and I walked away.

Forty-five minutes later, I heard another knock. This time, it was the wife alone. I spoke to her through the window. She apologized and meekly asked me for the name of any open inns. I provided them to her, as I felt bad for her having to deal with this a**hole day in and day out.

They didn’t show up for their reservation in March but were charged full price for it.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!