Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

When The Pumpkin Spice Leaves A Bitter Aftertaste

, , , , , | Right | October 2, 2020

I work as a glorified cashier in a store specializing in bundt cakes. We happen to sell mini ones the size of cupcakes, which come in dozens and are very popular. A customer calls me in late October with a complaint.

Me: “Hello, and thank you for calling [Franchise]. This is [My Name]; how may I help you?”

Customer: “Oh… Hi, I was just calling to place a complaint?”

Me: “Yes, of course. Mind telling me what’s wrong? Maybe we can work it out.”

Customer: “Um, my mom ordered a dozen bundtinis but there were no pumpkin. I was really disappointed.”

Me: “Did your mother specifically order the pumpkin spice?”

Customer: “I don’t know. It’s my mom. But there weren’t any and I was so disappointed.”

Me: “Well, the regular assortment only comes with [our four most popular flavors]. Pumpkin spice is seasonal, so it’s not one of them. You have to order a custom assortment to—”

Customer: “Can I just get a refund?”

Me: “I’ll have to see your receipt for that to make sure you specially ordered the pumpkin.”

Customer: “What? I don’t have that anymore! We bought those bundtinis last October!”

Me: “…”

Customer: “I’m calling corporate. Goodbye.”

She hung up, and I told my manager and coworkers. It’s one of our favorite stories to tell now.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!