Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

When Misogyny Melts Away

, , | Right | April 15, 2020

I’m a female mechanic at a gardening tool shop. We have only three people working and I’m doing my practical training in a school program to be a “small engine mechanic.” That means everything smaller than a car: chainsaws, lawnmowers, motorcycles, and microcars. An older gentleman walks in and I greet him, as I’m alone at the workshop.

Customer: “Hello! Are there some male workers around? I need to ask something about spare parts. You wouldn’t know anything about them.”

One of those again. I sigh in my mind and keep smiling politely and ignore the first part.

Me: “Hi. Unfortunately, my coworkers are off at the moment but let’s hear you out. What seems to be the problem?”

The customer seems to have a light-bulb moment.

Customer: “Well… you might actually know, as well.”

He explains about his big trimmer. He wants a new piston, o-ring, seals, shaft, cylinder, and lower plastic body part of the engine. Apparently, the engine has “cut off,” meaning it’s basically dead and won’t hold pressure needed to work, etc. I do my best recalling approximate prices of new parts and how long it would take to fix it. It would mean changing the whole engine and I recommend he declare the trimmer dead. A new one would be cheaper.

The whole time while I am explaining costs and parts, he starts to look more and more embarrassed and humble. He also tells me how he misused the trimmer causing it to cut off and basically melt inside. My coworker enters the workshop and takes his seat without a glance since he knows I know what I’m doing.

Customer: *To my coworker* “Is that so, that I broke it? New parts cost more than a new machine?”

Coworker: “Yep. Not worth fixing.”

My coworker then explains exactly the same stuff I told the guy a few moments ago. The customer looks a bit sheepish.

Customer: “Okay. Could you show me some new trimmers?”

Thank you, good sir, for brushing off misogynist prejudice and accepting professional help from a lady mechanic. You were first to really admit being wrong about me; others haven’t been as quick and smart as you were and it saved my day.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!