Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

When A Little Bit Of Your Humanity Sneaks Through

, , , | Right Working | June 16, 2022

I work in a call centre for an Internet provider. It can be a thankless job with bad days, and this day seemed to be one of them. For context, this is the only time I have ever said anything like this to a customer. I’m always cordial, no matter my temper, even if I have to hang up on a customer.

It had been a rough day, with a lot of angry customers and very stupid calls, and I was at the end of my rope, even though I have had days like that before, I don’t know why that day was different.

A customer had been ranting about her poor Internet service. I was sympathetic, but as an agent with no technical training, I could not help her. I had been trying for ten minutes to transfer her, but she would not let me get a word in. Finally, she started to wind down.

Customer: “…and I’ll have you know, I’m very upset!”

I responded in the most unimpressed and done tone.

Me: “Yeah, no kidding.”

It was a second of silence later that I realized how badly I had just screwed up. I apologized profusely, stated that it had been a mistake, and offered some compensation.

I don’t know if maybe she realized that the ten-minute rant was a bit overboard or what, but she accepted the compensation and let me get her over to a tech.

All my coworkers had heard was my remark and my frantic attempt to fix it. We can laugh at it now, but it was definitely not funny in the moment.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!