Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Wheeling Out Discrimination When You Can’t See The Wheels

, , , , | Right | January 12, 2021

I work at an Indian takeaway. There is a policy written on the menu that any order under £10 cannot be delivered without a delivery charge of £1, or it will have to be picked up, instead.

Me: “Good evening. How can I help?”

Customer: “Hi, would I be able to order for a delivery, please?”

Me: “Yes, that’s not a problem. What would you like?”

Customer: “I would like a chicken curry and a portion of rice, please.”

Me: “That’s no problem, sir, but as the total is under £10, I will have to charge you for the delivery, or you are welcome to come and collect it.”

Customer: *Getting rather angry* “I can’t believe you’re discriminating against me.”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, I don’t know how I am discriminating against you. This is our restaurant policy.”

Customer: *Shouting down the phone now* “You can see that I’m in a wheelchair and disabled and that’s why you won’t deliver to me!”

Me: “Apologies, sir, but as we are talking over the phone, I can’t see that you’re in a wheelchair.”

Customer: “Yes, but you know that I’m in a wheelchair and you’ve lost a customer. Next time, you’d better think twice before discriminating against me!”

The customer then hung up and never called back. I’m still baffled that they thought I should know he was in a wheelchair, and I still have no idea who the customer was!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!