Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

What’s The Password To Get You To Listen?

, , , | Right | CREDIT: TheLightningCount1 | April 28, 2022

I get a call today from a user who used the self-service password reset site but now is unable to log in to a vendor program. This vendor program does not use the same password as [Site]. So, it should be a simple call, right?

Yeah, no.

Me: “Thanks for calling IT. This is [My Name]; how can I be of assistance?”

User: “I reset my password on the password reset website, but now my [Vendor Program] won’t let me log in.”

Me: “Are you trying your new password you just set on the password site?”

User: “Yes.”

Me: “That’s why. The [Vendor Program] password does not change when you reset your [Site] password. You will need to use your old password for it.”

There’s ten seconds of silence.

User: “My new password still is not working for [Vendor Program].”

Me: “I guess what I said did not come through. Sorry about that. Your [Vendor Program] password does not change when you reset your [Site] password. You will need to use your old password for that.”

Now there’s thirty seconds of silence.

Me: “Hello?”

User: “Yes, sorry. One sec. Typing.” *Pauses* “Yeah, my password still is not working on [Vendor Program].”

Me: “Your old password?”

User: “No, my new.”

Me: “Uhh. Is my phone cutting out?”

User: “No. You sound just fine.”

Me: “Yeah, so your [Vendor Program] password does not reset when you update your [Site] password. Try the old password you had for [Vendor Program] before you reset your [Site] password today.”

There’s another long silence.

Me: “You there?”

User: “Yes, sorry.”

Me: “Try the old password.”

User: “The old password for what?”

Me: “For [Vendor Program]. Please try the old password you have for it.”

User: “But I reset it today.”

Me: “Just… try the old password for it, please.”

She does.

User: “Oh, that worked. Why did the password I reset not work for [Vendor Program] and I have to use this old password?”

I let out an audible exasperated sigh.

Me: “Because [Vendor Program] has its own credentials that do not change when you reset your [Site] password.”

I will give you exactly one guess as to what happens next.

User: “So, why did I have to use my old password? Is something wrong with my account?”

Me: “No. I guess I am failing to properly explain this, and I apologize for that. When you reset your password today, you used this website, correct? [Password Reset Website]?”

User: “Yes.”

Me: “Okay. That only resets the intranet, email, [Site], and our company branded programs. It does not change these three [Vendor Program] passwords. So, when you reset your password on [Password Reset Website], it does not change the [Vendor Program] password.”

There’s a full minute of silence from her with me repeatedly trying to get her attention.

User: “Oh, sorry, I’m here. So, what’s wrong with my account?”

Me: “Nothing. Your password is working exactly as intended.”

I hung up the phone and wrote up the ticket like this:

Ticket: “Helped user get into [Vendor Program] using her old password. She either was not listening or simply failed to understand that [Vendor Program] and [Site] were separate entities. Terminated call and cried myself to sleep.”

No one called to complain, and we never heard back from her.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!