Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

What’s More Hopeless Is Their Chance Of Getting Through

, , | Right | July 5, 2020

I work for a company that has many offices spanning the entire state. When our switchboard operator has too many calls on the line, they overflow to staff in all offices to help ease the call load.

This happens and I answer the phone.

Me: “[Company], my name is [My Name]; how can I help you?”

The caller has a very thick and somewhat difficult-for-my-ears-to-understand accent.

Caller: “I want to speak with [Staff Member in a different office who I have never even met, hundreds of kilometres away].”

I checked the staff member’s Skype status, which says they are on annual leave and haven’t been online for a few days.

Me: “I’m very sorry, but it appears she is not in the office today. Can I please take a message for you?”

At this, the caller EXPLODES.

Caller: “I CALL FOR HER. YOU GET HER ON THE PHONE.”

Me: “I am sorry, but she is not at wor—”

Caller: “YOU GET HER! NOW! I CALL FOR HER!”

Me: “I’m happy to take a message for you—”

Caller: “HOPELESS! YOU HOPELESS! WALK OVER TO HER AND YOU TELL HER I CALL.”

Me: “Again, I am sorry, but she is not here, and I don’t even work in the same office as her. Can I take a message?”

Caller: “SHE KNOWS WHAT IT ABOUT! YOU DON’T NEED NO MESSAGE!”

Me: “I’m afraid I don’t even know your name. Can you please at least provide some contact details?”

Caller: “SHE KNOWS! YOU HOPELESS! YOU TELL HER THE MESSAGE IS HOW HOPELESS YOU ARE!”

Me: “Can you please at least tell me where you are calling from?”

Caller: *Indecipherable accent*

Me: “I’m so sorry, can you please spell—”

Caller: “PATHETIC, SHE KNOWS THIS INFORMATION ALREADY! YOU HOPELESS!”

This went on for a few more minutes until I managed to at least get the name of her business out of her, and then I promptly said, “Thank you, goodbye,” and hung up on her. I still have PTSD from working in a call centre over a decade ago and this call left me shaken and almost crying for the remainder of the day.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!