Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

What Side Of The NAR/NAW Line Does This Lean Toward?

, , , , , | Right | March 20, 2021

I have recently purchased a rather expensive Wi-Fi router from a national retailer. After setting it up and using it for a week or so, I realize that it doesn’t have the range I want, and I’ll need to exchange it for a more expensive model. I pack it back up — I have all the original packaging, it’s in excellent condition, and the cords were never even unwrapped — and place it in the trunk of my car to return. Unfortunately, life interferes; it’s nearly two weeks later that I finally make it into the store. I’m now just over thirty days from the date of purchase; their return policy is fifteen days.

Me: “Hello, I forget the exact date I purchased this, but I know I’m outside of policy. Would it be possible to just return it for store credit and get the model I need?”

The returns employee doesn’t really look at the box but is rather nice. He pulls up my information and gets a concerned look on his face.

Employee #1: “Sir, this is well outside our return policy, I’m not sure what we can do for you. I’ll have to go talk to my manager and see.”

This is a current item, in perfect packaging, and I started by asking for store credit, implying I want/intend to spend more money at the store.

Me: “Okay, that’s great. Please go check!”

The returns employee disappears into the back and is gone an extended time. When he returns, he has a very grave face on. The “manager” has determined that the store will do nothing. Period. They don’t care about the condition of the item, or that I’ve asked for store credit. I even offer to pay a restocking fee. If this was a discontinued item, or in bad shape, maybe I could understand, but this just seems ridiculous. I’m forced to leave the store with this router under my arm and no real plan on what to do next.

The next day, I check and see that there’s another of this chain’s stores about fifteen minutes off my normal route to work, about forty-five minutes from the first store. Determined to try again, I take my router into this store and go to the returns desk.

Me: “Hey, how are you? I’m just going to warn you that I’m not going to be a great customer today. I don’t have my original receipt, but it’s in your system under my phone number, and I’m well outside policy to return this item. However, I’m just trying to upgrade this to a better, more expensive model, so store credit would be fine. Can you help?”

Employee #2: “Well, once you said the first part, I was going to see if store credit was okay with you, but then you offered to take it on your own, so I think we’re good there. Let me take a look at the box… Yeah, this is in great shape. Can I look up your receipt quickly?”

There is some banter back and forth while he looks up the receipt.

Employee #2: “Yeah, this won’t be a problem. Let me call my manager up for the approval!”

I am a little disbelieving that it is this simple this time.

Me: “Wow, that’s great! I was expecting to have to beg or something. Thanks so much!”

Employee #2: “Sir, you had everything in order, have been very nice this whole time, and are asking for something completely within our power to do. I’d have to be a real jacka** to have said no!”

Yes, he said that, verbatim. It was just so perfect, I wish I could have recorded it to go back to the first store and play back to the first employee and manager that I’d dealt with. The rest of the transaction went fine, I bought the additional equipment that I needed, and I turned in a glowing review of the employee that eventually helped me out.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!