Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

What An Airhead

| Working | May 12, 2014

(I am calling around to some of the radio stations to buy advertising time for some events at our church. I call one station and get the manager, who I had been told was a real ‘heel.’)

Me: “I would like to see about getting some air time on your station.”

Receptionist: “One moment, I will let you talk to the manager.”

(There is a momentary pause.)

Manager: “Hello. I understand that you are looking for some air time?”

Me: “Yes, I am.”

Manager: “Okay, let me start with a question: are you also advertising in the newspaper?”

Me: “I don’t see how that is relevant.”

Manager: “Just go with me a second: are you also advertising in the newspaper?”

Me: “Yes…”

Manager: “Did you pay for the newspaper ads?”

Me: “Yes…”

Manager: “So why would you expect to get advertising from us for free when you paid the newspaper for it?”

Me: “Free?! Who said anything about getting it for free?!”

Manager: “Well, you said you wanted to get some air time?”

Me: “Yes, but that’s not the same thing as asking for it for free!”

Manager: *sputters a bit*

Me: “Now, look. I have about $1500 in a line item in my budget for advertising, and I was planning on sending some of it your way! But if this is the way I am going to be talked to, then maybe I need to rethink things!”

(The manager then proceeded to apologize, but at that point I was so offended that I almost hung up on him.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!