Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

What A Bunch Of Old (Hand)Bags

, | Right | October 12, 2016

(I am serving on the till and currently dealing with a woman who has sat her child on the counter as she deals with her payment. Two ladies are behind her waiting.)

Customer In Line: *to me* “Should she really have her daughter sitting up there?”

Me: “Well, we don’t have any policy about this and her child is being very well behaved.”

Customer In Line: “Well, it’s very dirty and food is prepared here so I don’t think the child should be sitting there.”

(At this point I am shocked at the rudeness of the customer, speaking as if the mother was not there. The mother in question has kept quiet the entire time, counting out her change. I have no patience for rude customers so I speak up.)

Me: “Actually, food is not prepared here. Anything that sits on this counter is either wrapped, on a plate, or on a tray, so it does not come in direct contact with the surface. Plus people put their handbags on here all the time as well as their money, two incredibly dirty objects, anyway.”

(Both ladies behind the mother have their handbags on the counter.)

Customer In Line: *ignores me* “I just can’t believe you’d let a child sit up there. It’s so dirty! Food is prepared here!”

(At this point, the mother finally speaks up.)

Mother: “I’ll sit my child wherever I please.”

(She then paid and left with her child. I just wish I could have high-fived her for putting the other customer in her place!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!