Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

We’re Beery Sorry For The Mixup

, , , , | Working | July 1, 2021

Some years ago the hotel I worked for screwed up — completely our fault. The exact details of how it happened escape me, but we basically fouled up a group reservation from one of our better corporate accounts. Instead of five rooms for two nights, we had two rooms for five nights. To say that they were not happy is an understatement. We tried our best to fix things, but there wasn’t anything to be done.

Three guesses who got to be the one who told the extra three guys about their rooms?

I was, of course, apologetic to the point of scourging myself and pouring lemon juice in the wounds. I begged forgiveness on behalf of our hotel, the brand, and the franchise owners as I gave them the walking documents for the hotel down the street. Was there anything — anything — we could do to make this up to them?

Guest: “I dunno. A keg of beer?”

This was met by some chuckling, as they went up to make the most of the situation. In the morning, the owners called. They never call. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve even seen them.

Owners: “Did they say if there was anything we could do to make this better for them?”

Me: “Well, they said a keg of beer would be nice.”

Owners: “Done.”

That got a raised eyebrow, but I didn’t think much of it. Sure, okay, they’ll fix things up, no worries. I hadn’t expected them to take it literally.

So, it was with great surprise that I came in to work to find a keg of beer in the pool area.

The owners had made good on the beer; a keg of the local microbrewery’s very excellent suds — a real German-style lager— was the centerpiece of a party involving the businessmen. All was forgiven, and everyone was having a great time, including my manager.

Manager: “Hey, man! Come have some beer!”

Me: “Um, I’m going to be on shift?”

Manager: “Eh. It’s okay. Just this once. But don’t overdo it, all right?”

And so that was how I got to maintain a solid two-beer buzz for an entire shift. The businessmen went to bed around midnight, leaving about a fifth of the keg in need of some love and affection. Very, very good beer.

Pretty much the best shift ever.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!