Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Well, Wales DOES Have Dragons

, , , | Working | September 26, 2017

(At the shop where I work, I have a broader range of general knowledge than my coworkers, so they often ask me my opinion on weird or unusual donations, to the point where I’m known as the “official valuer” of stuff no one knows how to price. Usually, it’s collectibles I look up on the internet on my phone, or technology, as I’m the youngest one there, but today it’s a little different.)

Manager: “Here, [Coworker], look at this ring. Do you think it’s silver?”

Coworker: *checks the ring* “I don’t think that’s a hallmark; it’s got some kind of weird writing on it, but I can’t make it out.”

Manager: “Oh, yeah, that is writing. It’s weird, though; it’s like Welsh, or something.”

Coworker: “Give it to [My Name]; she’s got good eyes.”

Me: “Yeah, the person with glasses has good eyes, okay.”

(I take the ring, look at it for a second, and then burst out laughing.)

Manager: “What? Does it say something stupid?”

Me: “It’s Elvish.”

Coworker: “What?”

Me: “Tolkien. Lord of the Rings?”

Manager: “Oh, never seen it.”

(I guess I can see why she didn’t recognise it, but why did she think it was Welsh?)


This story is part of the Tolkien-themed roundup!

Read the next Tolkien-themed roundup story!

Read the Tolkien-themed roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!