Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Weighs On Your Conscience And Your Scale

, , , , , | Right | November 26, 2011

(Since it’s my first day, I’m shadowing another employee at the cash register, putting in every order she takes from the customer. An hour in, a woman in her 40s and her husband come in. Note our sugar-free items are advertised as “guilt-free.”)

Coworker: “Good afternoon and welcome to [Coffee Shop]! What can we make for you today?”

Customer: “Yes I’d like a guilt-free sugar cookie latte and [frozen coffee] with guilt-free vanilla syrup.”

Coworker: *repeating order for my benefit* “So, that’s a sugar-free sugar cookie latte and frozen coffee with sugar-free vanilla?”

Customer: *frowning* “No, a guilt-free latte and a guilt-free frozen coffee!”

Coworker: “Yes, ma’am, a sugar-free latte and frozen coffee. Will that be all?

Customer: “No! No! No! It’s GUILT-FREE! Turn around and read your menu board! GUILT. FREE.”

(At this point I’m scared and just tell the coworker to use the term so she’ll go away.)

Coworker: “Sorry, that’s a guilt-free latte and a frozen coffee with guilt-free vanilla syrup, yes?”

Customer: “YES! Finally!”

(I ring her up and charge her card. Her husband comes to the counter to place his own order.)

Customer’s husband: “I just want a hot chocolate, young lady.”

Customer, to her husband: “You’re fat! Get it GUILT-free!” *smacks him with her purse*


This story is part of the Crazy-First-Day roundup!

Read the next Crazy-First-Day roundup story!

Read the Crazy-First-Day roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!