Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Weddings Are Weddings Are Weddings

, , , , , | Working | March 3, 2023

I am working in my office and overhear two coworkers talking. One of them is describing a wedding they attended over the weekend.

Coworker #1: “It was amazing. Both the grooms looked so beautiful.”

Another coworker sitting close to them interjects.

Coworker #2: “Ah, so it was a gay wedding.”

She overemphasizes the word “gay”.

Coworker #1: “Yes, it was.”

Coworker #2: “So say that, then! It’s misleading to spend all this time talking about a wedding and making me think how lovely it is when it’s actually a gay wedding!”

I decide it’s my turn to interject.

Me: “[Coworker #1], it sounds so lovely! I’m going to a straight wedding this weekend, so thanks for giving me butterflies!”

Coworker #2: “That’s just a wedding. You don’t have to say ‘straight wedding’.”

Me: “If you get to say ‘gay wedding’, then I get to say ‘straight wedding’.”

Coworker #2: “No! If it’s two straight people getting married, then it’s just a wedding! If it’s two gays getting married, then it’s a gay wedding!”

Me: “Why?”

Coworker #2: *Getting flustered* “Well… because!”

Me: “But why?”

Coworker #2: “You know!”

Me: “I really, really don’t. You need to spell it out for me.”

Coworker #2: “You know! Because it’s not a…” *whispers* “…not a real wedding!”

Me: “I’m happy calling all weddings just weddings because they’re all just weddings! If you insist on using the labels, then I am going to use them for all of them. I am very much looking forward to going to a straight wedding this weekend!”

[Coworker #2] huffs and storms off to the coffee station.

My boss has heard everything.

Boss: “Wait until our Monday meeting! Last year, I attended a genderfluid wedding and I just so happened to get the photos just this week! The lucky couple both wore dresses at the ceremony and tuxes at the reception!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!