Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

We Wish You A Less-Awkward Christmas

, , , , | Related | January 5, 2019

(I love my boyfriend, but his mother is something else. I was born in Eastern Europe but have lived in the US since I was five. I am spending my first Christmas with him and his family. As soon as I enter the house:)

Boyfriend’s Mother: *says something in Russian*

Boyfriend: “Mom! [My Name] is Romanian, not Russian.”

Boyfriend’s Mother: “Oh, don’t they share a language?”

Me: “Most people seem to think that, despite the two languages sounding nothing alike, but it’s okay. Common mistake.”

(After the cats destroy one of the curtains:)

Boyfriend’s Dad: “D*** cats. If you don’t let me take them to the vet to have them declawed, [Boyfriend’s Mother], I’ll be forced to buy a curtain made of iron.”

Boyfriend’s Mother: “Shh! Don’t remind poor [My Name] of her country’s problems.”

Boyfriend’s Dad: “What the h*** are you on?”

Me: “Uh, ma’am, I was born in a democracy.” *trying to change the subject* “Sir, I can recommend a good brand of scratching posts to solve your problem.”

(At dinner:)

Boyfriend’s Mother: “[My Name], I wanted you to feel welcomed so I looked up some traditional Romanian dishes.”

Boyfriend: “Mom…”

Boyfriend’s Mother: “What?”

Me: “I appreciate the effort, and it looks quite tasty, but I’m allergic to cabbage.”

Boyfriend’s Mother: “Really? [Boyfriend], didn’t you tell me you’ve eaten this dish with her before?”

Boyfriend: “Yes, but [My Name]’s grandma made it and used grape leaves instead of cabbage.”

Boyfriend’s Dad: “Honey, next time just ask.”

(At night, in bed:)

Me: “I ruined Christmas, didn’t I?”

Boyfriend: “I told you mom takes her hospitality and political correctness a step further than most people, but neither of you meant any harm.”

(I guess everyone has awkward moments when spending Christmas with their significant other’s family for the first time.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!