Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

We Never Really Stop Being Students

, , , , , | Right | April 6, 2023

When I was in college, I took a job selling tickets at the university’s hockey arena. University staff and students got in for free when they showed their university ID, but everyone else naturally had to pay for their tickets. I’m working one night before a game when an older man — maybe in his late fifties or early sixties — and a young boy step up to my window.

Me: “Hi, welcome to [Arena]! One adult, one child today?”

Man: *With a friendly smile* “Yep! Taking my grandson out to his first [University] hockey game! Do you still allow staff and students in for free?”

Me: “Yes, if you can show your university ID card.”

Man: “Well, I have my student ID with me, but I graduated thirty-five years ago. I don’t suppose it would still be valid, would it?”

He gives a polite chuckle.

Me: “Um… I don’t think so, but I could ask my manager. She might be willing to make an exception.”

The man tries to stop me from going to get my manager, but I get her anyway. My manager ends up letting him get a free ticket for holding onto his university card for so long. I hand over their tickets and my manager and I tell him to enjoy the game.

Man: “Just to be clear, I was only joking about getting a free ticket, but thank you!” *Turns to his grandson* “[Grandson], how about we run to the merchandise store before the game and get you a souvenir?”

The man and his grandson came to a few more games that year, but he never tried to jokingly ask for a free ticket again. I want to stress that he was very clearly joking the first time, too, and not just pretending it was a joke like so many NAR customers. The smile on his and his grandson’s face every time they came up to the ticket counter was enough thanks for all of us ticket sellers.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!