Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

We Acknowledge Your Demands… With Laughter

, , , , , | Working | February 17, 2022

Several years ago, I used to work for a healthcare company. When I started, it became abundantly clear that one of my team members really didn’t like me. During my training, she often refused to help and would just tell me, “Figure it out!” whenever I had a problem. Any time I made a mistake, she would loudly berate me or CC me on emails complaining about me to the boss. Frequently, she would come in late or spend her shift discreetly talking to her boyfriend over the phone. Because she was a longstanding employee, some things were overlooked.

My morale was in the toilet early, but thankfully, one of the managers took notice and angrily told [Coworker] to knock it off and that she would be watched closely. Instead, she tried to mess with me another way; this time she would call in sick frequently, often minutes before her shift. This would leave me either working overtime to sort things or scrambling the next day to clean up the mess. She would then brag to her friends about how she just stayed home and watched movies or washed her car. Again, management took notice and she was told they wouldn’t put up with her shenanigans anymore! Realizing that her grace period was up, she quickly found another job and left.

After [Coworker] departed, I found out the reason why she hated me. Apparently, she was mad that her boyfriend was not rehired and the job was given to me, instead. Her boyfriend was allegedly not a good employee the first time around, so naturally, they had no interest in rehiring him!

A year later, the company was in disarray as management was poor and the environment was very toxic. Numerous employees and managers had quit or been fired and we were in danger of losing a contract.

I heard on the grapevine that, apparently, [Coworker] was being asked to return. According to gossip, her new job wasn’t at all enjoyable and she was working in a far stricter environment, so she was desperate to leave. Her friends started cheerfully bragging to everyone that her coming back was a “done deal” and she would be returning very soon.

Once again, I became nervous and anxious as I feared the bad times would return. However, over the coming months, I noticed that we had hired several new employees but none of them was [Coworker].

After a while, I became curious about what happened to her, so I went and spoke to my manager. 

Me: “Hey, [Manager], can I ask you something?”

Manager: “Sure, what’s up?”

Me: “Was it true that [Coworker] was coming back to work for us? I heard rumours, but she never came back!”

Manager: *Laughs* “Yeah… At first, [Senior Manager] and I were in contact as we felt an experienced staff member would be good. Unfortunately, she overplayed her hand a little.”

Me: “What do you mean?”

Manager: “Well… take a look at this.”

He swings his computer around and shows me an email from [Coworker].

Coworker’s Email: “Dear [Manager],

I would be happy to consider returning; however, I have some demands if I am to come back to [Company]. These are non-negotiable! 

  1. I want [My Name] fired and [Boyfriend] reinstated. Frankly, I have no idea why you didn’t re-hire him in the first place.
  2. I want [Boyfriend] and me to be on exactly the same shift and days at all times so we can carpool.
  3. I want a raise of at least 50%!
  4. I will only work 8:00 to 4:00, nothing else!
  5. I will not work weekends or any evening shifts.
  6. I want at least six weeks of vacation a year.
  7. I refuse to sit near the following people: [My Name], [Employee #1], [Employee #2], or [Employee #3], because I can’t stand them!”

The list went on and on; it was over thirty items long. It was requesting some ludicrous things such as certain snacks in the vending machine, her own parking spot, and various other things that made her look supremely entitled! 

Manager: “So, in the end, we told her thanks, but no thanks! Now she’s stuck working at [Strict Company]. Apparently, she’s miserable because she has to turn up on time and do her job, plus they don’t tolerate so many absences, so I hear she’s hanging by a thread there! Hate to say it, but she’s her own worst enemy!”

Six months later, I was laid off along with many others and the company looked to be in dire trouble. I found work in a better industry with better coworkers. I wonder if [Coworker] ever improved her attitude at all?

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!