Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Way More Treat Than Trick

, , | Hopeless | October 29, 2016

(It is Halloween night, and as my friends and I are high school students, we figure that this is the last year that we will be going trick-or-treating. We decide to wait until the younger kids have finished their trick-or-treating before we go out, so it is quite late when we start to go up the streets of my friends’ small town. We have a great time, and eventually get to the last house, where an elderly lady lives. As she’s handing out tiny chocolate bars to my friends…)

Old Lady: “Here’s one for you, and one for you, and…” *she feels around her candy bag* “Oh, no, there doesn’t seem to be any left. Maybe I have some more in the other room. Just wait right there and I’ll be back.”

Me: “You don’t have to do that, ma’am. I’ve already got plenty as it is.”

Old Lady: “Of course I will! It’s not fair that I have enough to give to your friends and not to you.” *she goes into another room and comes back looking apologetic* “I’m so sorry, dear, I just don’t have anything left to give you. I feel so terrible.”

Me: “That’s okay, ma’am. I’m fine, really.”

Friend #1: “Yeah, we can just share ours with her anyway.”

Old Lady: *to my friends* “I know you two live just down the street from me.” *to me* “But I don’t recognize you. Do you live nearby? I could stop by tomorrow or the next day with something.”

Me: “You really don’t have to…”

Friend #2: “And she lives in [Other Town].”

Old Lady: “Oh, that is a problem. Wait! Isn’t [Other Town] where the three of you go to school?” *to [Friend #2]* “Since you live closer to me, why don’t I leave something with you to give to her when you’re at school?”

Me: “Please, ma’am, you don’t have to do all that.”

Old Lady: “Nonsense! You came here for some candy and I’ll make sure you get some!”

(No matter what I say, the lady keeps insisting while apologizing profusely for not having any candy left. On Monday at school, I meet up with Friend #2 in the hallway, who hands me a plastic bag with some cookies and a lollipop inside.)

Friend #2: “Yep. That lady came to my place yesterday with this for you. She did feel pretty bad that she couldn’t give you any candy on Halloween.”

(I never did get to thank her in person, but that old lady sure made my last ever trick-or-treat a memorable one. Thanks again!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!