Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Wasn’t Banking On You Not Doing Banking

, , , | Right | December 3, 2020

For my small business, I accept payment via cheque, cash, or e-transfer. I am unable to take credit at this point. The following all comes through via text over the course of a few days. I am slow to respond to the first text because I am away on a trip.

Client: “Hello. My name is [Client]. I am looking for someone to photograph my family reunion. I need six hours. Can you handle this?”

Me: “Hello! I’d be happy to! Thank you for your patience; I was away on a trip. What date is your family reunion?”

Client: “Oh, so that’s why you didn’t get back to me. It’s on [date]. My budget is [amount]. How can I make a deposit?”

Me: “You’ll be happy to know, then, that at my rates, I only charge [smaller amount] for event coverage. I can accept cash, cheque, or e-transfer. Do you have an email address I can send the contract to, or would it be easier to meet in person at a cafe?’

Client: “I will have you know that, due to health reasons, I need to do this through credit card in person. Can you do this?”

Me: “Unfortunately, I cannot take credit card payments at this time, but I can accept cash, cheque, or e-transfer. Do you have an email address I can send the contract to?”

Client: “Good, I’ll set you up with a merchant service, then.”

Red flags start flying up all over the place.

Client: “This can easily be set up with your bank. I will give you my credit card and even pay the setup fees with your bank due to my health issues.”

Oh, yeah, this sounds scammy.

Me: “Hello, [Client]! Unfortunately, I am unable to set up anything to take credit card payment.”

I never heard back from the client again. The date of the event came and went and nothing else came of it. Between his insistence on setting up something with my bank and him dodging my requests for an email address to send the contract to, I like to think I dodged a bullet.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!