Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Warning: This Story Is Huggable

, , , , , , , , | Right | March 1, 2023

I am checking out an older lady at my grocery store. A younger man comes up behind her, carrying a basket but also engrossed in his phone. He looks up and the two customers spot each other. Suddenly, I can feel the tension in the air.

Older Lady Customer: “Oh… hello.”

Younger Male Customer: “…hello.”

Older Lady Customer: “You look well.”

Younger Male Customer: “As do you.”

Older Lady Customer: “So… how is…”

Younger Male Customer: “…he’s fine.”

Older Lady Customer: “Which means…”

Younger Male Customer: “…yes. Five years next month.”

Older Lady Customer: “Then I guess we have nothing more to discuss.”

I ring her up and she pays and leaves. I start scanning the younger male customer’s items, but he looks visibly shaken. He can see me noticing.

Younger Male Customer: “That was my mother. She dissolved our relationship because I came out as gay and declared love for my partner — now husband.”

Me: “Oh. I’m sorry to hear that.”

Younger Male Customer: “It’s okay. I am very much in love, so I am lucky. You can’t have everything.”

I’m thinking, “I could do something… anything.”

Me: “Would you like to use my staff discount?”

Younger Male Customer: “That’s very kind of you, but I’m fine. I don’t need you to do that.”

I take note that I have no other customers.

Me: “Would… would you like a hug?

The man considers this for a moment.

Younger Male Customer: “Yes, I would.”

We hugged for about thirty seconds, and he broke down and cried silently. He thanked me, and with a sniff, he paid for his items. He’s become a new favorite regular.


This story is part of our Highest-Voted-Inspirational-Stories-Of-2023-(so far!) roundup!

Read the next Highest-Voted-Inspirational-Stories-Of-2023-(so far!) story!

Read the Highest-Voted-Inspirational-Stories-Of-2023-(so far!) roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!