Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Waiting Is Purely Conceptual

, , , , | Right | November 4, 2020

In the office where I work, we often get a high volume of people coming in for assistance at once. Since there’s not really room for a line of people to stand and wait, we have a sign-in sheet and a large number of chairs for people to sit and wait until they are called. There is also a sign asking everyone to sign in and have a seat. Here are a few of the things we see all the time:

A customer approaches the desk and looks expectantly at me.

Me: “Hi! If you could just sign in and have a seat, someone will be right with you.”

The customer signs in and looks at me expectantly, standing in front of the sign-in and blocking everyone else waiting to sign in.

Me: “Great. Now, if you could have a seat…”

Customer #1: “I signed in; why can’t you help me now?”

Me: *Checking the clipboard* “Because there are three names ahead of yours…”

Or:

A customer approaches the desk.

Me: “Hi, if you could sign in and have a seat, someone will be with you as soon as we can!”

Customer #2: “I just need one thing real quick!”

Me: “Yes, and so does everyone else here.”

Customer #2: “But it’s just a quick question, and I have somewhere to be!”

Me: “Yes, and so does everyone else here.”

Customer #2: “But why can’t you help me real quick?”

Me: “Because all these other people were here first.”

Customer #2: *grumbles and sits down*

Honestly, if I didn’t have to spend so much time explaining the concept of waiting your turn to people, the overall wait time for everyone would probably be cut in half!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!