Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Wait Until She Asks For “One Thousand And One Nights”

, , , | Right | January 23, 2023

A woman came in looking for a book at my bookstore. That’s what she started with. It was initially like pulling teeth for her to elaborate.

Customer: “I am looking for a book.”

Me: “…”

Customer: “…”

Me: “Okay, well, you’re in the ballpark… Do you have any idea which book, specifically?”

Customer: “It’s about dogs.”

Me: “Fiction? Non-fiction?”

Customer: “It’s a kid’s book about dalmatians.”

Me: “Ah! Okay, it might be 101 Dalmatians! It’s a popular—”

Customer: “No, no, no! 101 dalmatians is too many! I want the book to be about three dalmatians.”

This stopped me cold. I had to stop and wait for my brain to reboot for a second.

Me: “Um, okay… I can look for a book with that title, but I don’t think there are any books in print about specifically only three.”

Customer: “Well, 101 of them is way too many. Just fix it so the book is only about three or fewer.”

I stopped again.

Me: “You want me to… change the published book so that there are only three dalmatians in it?”

Customer: “YES! That’s exactly what I’m looking for!”

Me: “I’m afraid I can’t do that. If you want the book 101 Dalmatians, I can help you, but literally no one in this or any other bookstore is able to change the story.”

Customer: “I would like to speak to a manager about your unhelpfulness.”

Long story short? After an argument, my manager told her that she could either buy the book as-is or she could shop elsewhere because she was being unreasonable. Yes, he did tell her that to her face. I was gobsmacked by the flying pigs at the time.

After fuming, she finally bought the book and stormed out, complaining about how “101 Dalmatians” was just too many dogs.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!