Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Wait… Employees Have Families?

, , , | Right | June 25, 2018

(I am working as a cashier. It is time for me to go home. The manager comes up, puts a closed sign on my register, and shuts off my light while I am checking a customer out to let others know that it’s closed, and that I can’t take any more after the current customer. A man walks up:)

Manager: “Sorry, sir, this register is closed. You’ll have to go to another one.”

(He leaves. I continue to finish up with my final customer, and when I tell them to have a nice day, the guy comes back and starts to immediately to put his stuff on the belt. He has a full cart, and I could lose my job for staying.)

Me: “Sir, I’m sorry, but my line has been shut down and I’m not allowed to check you out; you’ll have to go to another line.”

Customer: “But I’m already at this line.”

Me: “Sir, my manager told you earlier that this line was closed; you’ll have to go to another line.”

(I’ve signed out of the register, and I start to head towards the back to sign out and go home for the day.)

Customer: “But they are all busy with people, and I need to get home–” *incorrectly reading my nametag* “–[Incorrect Name].”

Me: “I’m sorry, but you’ll just have to wait in line like everyone else.”

Customer: “But [My Name]—” *his constant use of my name is starting to tick me off, since he’s only saying it to try to either draw attention or get me to sympathize with him* “—I went to another line and they were closed, [My Name]; what am I supposed to do if they’re all closed?

(We have many lines open, as it is midday.)

Me: “Sir, there are many lines open; you can wait—”

Customer: “But [My Name], I can’t! I have to get home now! I have family I need to get home to, [My Name]. Don’t you understand that I have a family I need to go home to see?”

(I’m seriously ticked off, as he’s delaying me from getting home and taking care of my sick husband and roommate, and my household of many pets.)

Me: “You know what? I have a family, too! I’m off work and need to get home to them! In fact, everyone here has a family, because we’re not automatons that are here to serve you 24/7. We are human beings with our own lives, and we need to go home!”

(This time, I fully walked away without stopping or looking back. I could hear him calling my name out several times, but I never stopped. Surprisingly, I never got in trouble or even talked to about the ordeal, even though I was working at a super major corporation.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!