Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Very Bad Reception, Part 9

| Working | October 5, 2014

(I’ve just turned 18 years old. After living for a while with a friend, I very suddenly suffer an allergic reaction to her pets. My face is so swollen I can barely see or talk properly, but I can at least breathe. Since it is relatively close to where I am, I go straight to my usual doctor’s office, not trusting myself to articulate properly on the phone.)

Receptionist: “Yes, can I help you with something?”

Me: “I don’t have an appointment, but I really need to see a doctor. Is it possible that I might schedule an appointment later today?”

Receptionist: “Why do you need a doctor?”

(She should barely be able to see my eyes. I seriously look like a talking marshmallow. I stare at her.)

Me: “I’m having an allergic reaction.”

Receptionist: “I’m sorry, but you can’t book an appointment in the reception. I suggest you go home and take it easy and come back tomorrow after making an appointment.”

Me: “But I really need help now. Do you know of any other place close by that have drop-in or can take emergency cases?”

Receptionist: *producing a card* “You can call this number if you want. They offer advice for free.”

Me: “… and how exactly will that help me with my allergic reaction? I don’t need to talk. I need help.”

Receptionist: “I’m sorry, but I can’t help you. I don’t know of any place that would take you in without an appointment.”

(Dejected, I head for the elevators, close to tears because I don’t know what to do and I’m frightened. I push the button, but as I stand there waiting, a doctor passing me by stops and stares.)

Doctor: “Excuse me, but have you received help yet?”

Me: “No, the receptionist said it’s impossible for me to get help without an appointment. I got this number…” *I hold up the card*

(The doctor stares at me as if she can’t quite comprehend the words I’m saying. Then she stares at the receptionist, and then at the card in my hand.)

Doctor: “It’s okay, sweetie. I’ve got some time before my next patient. I can take you in right now and we’ll get you some medicine. If your face swells up like that, it can be really dangerous. I’ll talk to the receptionist later.”

(She took me by the hand and led me away. It took her less than ten minutes to get me diagnosed and get me meds. After I did some research later, I found there were at least three drop-in clinics close by!)

 

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!