Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Very Bad Reception, Part 8

| Working | September 11, 2014

(I’m in my twenties and hate dentists after seeing a very bad orthodontist in my teens. My mother insists that I go to a practice that her friend has recommended, and we get appointments at the same time. We fill out our information in the waiting room, and a nurse comes in to check it.)

Nurse: “So, do either of you have any fears or problems with dentists?”

Me: *hand raises instantly* “Yep! It’s not really a fear but the smell and the noise of the drill make me feel sick…”

Nurse: “Okay. We get a lot of people who don’t like the drill, but it’ll be fine…”

(I go into the dentist, who is excellent and explains everything. I tell her why I haven’t been in so long and she’s very understanding. She writes down everything that I need done in subsequent visits, and I go back again for a filling a few weeks later. She lets me listen to music so I can’t hear the drill and get it done as quickly as possible. I go out to reception to pay and wait for my mum.)

Receptionist: *not looking up* “All right, it’s [price] for today, and we can take you on [date] for the root canal.”

Me: “What?”

Receptionist: *looks at me* “Oh, it says on your chart that you need one.”

Me: *feeling sick* “I wasn’t told. I was just given this list…”

Receptionist: *sees me turn white* “Oh. Uh, I’ll just get the dentist…”

(The dentist brought me back in and apologised. It turned out that one tooth was too damaged for a filling, but she was sparing me the horror after coping so well with the two I’d just gotten. She explained that root canals aren’t as bad as I had been told, but I could have the tooth removed instead when I went to get my wisdom teeth removed under general anaesthetic. I chose the removal, and haven’t been back in case the receptionist springs any other surprises on me…)

 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!