Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Using Baked Goods To Do Good

, , , , | Right | May 13, 2021

Every time this customer comes in, she comes up to the registers with some bakery item that she has pulled out of a bag and tries to insist she should be able to buy it separately — something like a single roll out of a bag of rolls or a single chocolate chip cookie out of a package.

We never actually sell it to her, but our spineless manager never kicks her out, either. He just wrings his hands and says it isn’t worth the trouble. Finally, one day, I have had enough when she approaches me with yet another product — a bagel this time.

I pull it out of her hand before she can say anything.

Me: “Oh, thank you.”

I drop it directly into the wastebasket behind my register.

Me: “I don’t know how these baked goods keep getting loose from their packaging, so thank you for bringing that up so we can dispose of it.” *Big slasher smile* “Is there anything else I can help you with today?”

Apparently, my sudden actions had stunned her into silence, as she just kind of gaped before scurrying off. Shortest interaction with her yet. I told a few of my coworkers, and they are going to do the same thing. Maybe we can drive her off with kindness if our manager isn’t willing to do it with policy.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!