Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Upcharge Up Yours

, , , , | Working | October 20, 2020

Because of the current health crisis, barriers between customers and cashiers are common. Apparently, not only do they block hearing, but thinking, too!

Me: “I’d like the combo on special with pork. Is there an upcharge for beef brisket? If so, instead I’ll have…”

Cashier: “So, that’s the two-meat combo with pork and brisket? $12.71, please.”

I hand over $13. The receipt prints and I see that there is, indeed, a $1 upcharge for the brisket; if the cashier hadn’t cut me off, I would have changed to chicken.

Me: “I asked whether there was an upcharge and I would like to have chicken, instead.”

Cashier: “Well, I can’t hear with this barrier.”

She gets a manager, who tells her to refund me the $1.06 for the upcharge and tax. The cashier puts my twenty-nine cents change back in the drawer and hands me the $1.06

Me: “And my twenty-nine cents?”

Cashier: “The manager told me to give you back $1.06.”

Me: “Yes, but you still owe me the twenty-nine cents change from the original transaction.”

Cashier: “No, it’s $1.06 because we refunded you the upcharge.”

We went around in circles until the manager finally came back up front and told her that yes, I was still owed twenty-nine cents. I know both the $1 upcharge and twenty-nine cents change were small amounts to bicker over, but it was the principle of the matter.

Sadly, by the time I finally got my change, my food had already been made and had gone cold because the place had the AC cranked, but I didn’t feel like dealing with that cashier any longer.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!