Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unwarranted Stupidity

, , , , | Right | February 8, 2019

(I am a supervisor at a computer help call centre. One of the other workers is having issues with a difficult customer on the phone. The worker gets my attention and explains to me that the customer will no longer talk to them as the worker won’t honor the customer’s warranty on her computer. I tell the worker I will take over the call for them.)

Me: “Hello, ma’am, this is [My Name]. I’m [Worker]’s supervisor; how can I help you today?”

Customer: “My computer isn’t working, and [Worker] said that he won’t honor my warranty.”

Me: “Ma’am, I have looked at your warranty and it expired over a year ago. I’m sorry but [Worker] was correct in the fact that we cannot repair your computer under warranty.”

Customer: “That is absolutely stupid; I paid for the warranty and I expect that you repair my computer for me.”

Me: “Ma’am, do you understand that your warranty has expired?”

Customer: “What does that have to do with anything? I paid for the warranty and you have to honor it no matter what.”

Me: “If you went to a vehicle dealership because your vehicle had to be repaired, but your warranty was expired would you expect them to repair it for you for under the warranty?”

Customer: “That’s completely different. I run a business and I know how warranties work.”

Me: “Do you offer warranties at your business, ma’am?”

Customer: “Yes, of course, I do.”

Me: “Okay, so, if I came in and bought a product from you, and my warranty was good for three months, and then a year after my warranty expired, I came to you and asked you to repair it or replace it for me under the warranty, would you do it?”

Customer: “Of course not.”

Me: “So, why would you expect us to repair your computer for you under warranty when your warranty has been expired for over a year?”

Customer: “I paid for the warranty, and you’re either going to honor it or I will have my lawyer sue [Company].”

Me: “Ma’am, we will not repair your computer for you under warranty. If you feel the need to contact your lawyer, you can have them contact our legal department. Thank you.”

(After this I terminated the call, and to the best of my knowledge the legal department was never contacted.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!